Nothing beats a good night’s sleep, but the people who suffer from abnormal sleep conditions know how precious sleep really is. Amongst the long list of sleep conditions, sleep apnea is the most dangerous one of all.
Sleep apnea is a serious condition in which you temporarily stop breathing during sleep. Rather than calling it a sleep condition, you could say that it’s more of a breathing disorder that occurs when you’re asleep. Usually, the spell lasts for 10-20 seconds, but it may be longer in some cases. When you stop breathing, it results in disrupted sleep and tiredness. Because of the severity of sleep apnea, its treatment is essential. Luckily, there are some natural supplements that you can use to treat sleep apnea.
What Causes Sleep Apnea?
Numerous reasons cause sleep apnea. The main cause of sleep apnea is blockage of airways owing to excess body weight. When the body weighs more than normal, a soft fat tissue starts to build up in the windpipe, resulting in the blockage of the airway. As a result, when you sleep, your body stops breathing temporarily.
Besides excess body weight, sleep apnea is also caused by smoking and high blood pressure. Moreover, people who naturally have small airways in their throat, nose, and mouths are more likely to suffer from this condition. People with a family history of sleep apnea, risk of heart failure, untreated hypothyroidism, and obesity are vulnerable to sleep apnea. Research has shown that sleep apnea is more common in men than in women.
The most common sleep apnea symptoms include a dry throat when you wake up, headaches in the morning, memory issues, difficulty in concentrating, and daytime sleepiness. People who suffer from sleep apnea are more likely to fall victim to depression and anxiety. Mood swings and irritability are also common in sleep apnea.
What are some Natural Supplements for Sleep Apnea?
There are numerous ways to treat sleep apnea. Your first option should always be to incorporate some lifestyle changes. For instance, avoiding alcohol and smoke will help in alleviating the symptoms of sleep apnea. Moreover, exercise and maintenance of a healthy weight can help in easing the condition. Sleeping on your side rather than on your back will also help you in the long run.
Besides making some lifestyle changes, there are plenty of other options, such as using natural supplements like herbs and essential oils to treat sleep apnea. Let’s look at some of the best natural supplements for sleep apnea:
1. Essential Oils
Aromatherapy is soothing and has been in use for centuries to promote healthy sleeping patterns. Aromatherapy is most effective when essential oils are used in it. Aromatic essential oils not only help you sleep better but are also great for reducing pain and relieving your body of stress.
You can place a few drops of essential oils on your bed sheets to help you sleep better, or you could add them to your diffuser. A single drop of an aromatic essential oil mixed in water in your diffuser’s container will make your room feel fresh, and it will help make you sleep better.
If you don’t have a diffuser at home, you can always use essential oils in your bath. Just add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to your bath right before you go to bed, and it will have the same effect.
Here is a list of some of the best essential oils that you can use for treating sleep apnea:
- Plant Therapy Lavender Essential Oil 100% Pure(ASIN # B00YTD3362): Lavender is one of the most popular essential oil of all time. It has a diverse range of therapeutic properties, which is why it is used extensively in aromatherapy. The calming scent of lavender oil makes your body feel relaxed, and as a result, your sleeping patterns are improved.
- Plant Therapy Citrus Burst Synergy Essential Oil Blend (ASIN # B006OR6D18): While citrus smell repels some people, studies have shown that citrus essential oils are great for treating sleep apnea. Lime, mandarin, and sweet orange, in particular, are great for improving sleep patterns.
- Aura Cacia Jasmine Absolute in Jojoba Oil (ASIN # B005JPOBEC): Jasmine is another powerful essential oil with a sweet aroma. It is excessively used in skincare products as well as in spas. Research has shown that using jasmine essential oil can induce healthy sleeping patterns. It’s one of the most calming and relaxing essential oil of all time.
2. Herbal Teas
For sleep apnea, herbal teas that are free from any signs of caffeine are great. Herbal teas are soothing and relaxing, and if you have a cup right before bed, you can get a good night’s sleep. But if you’re on some medication for sleep apnea, make sure that you consult with your doctor first before consuming any kind of herbal tea as they may interact with the medication you’re taking.
But if you’re not on any medication, you can benefit from herbal teas. Herbs, in general, are great for our health, but when you make tea out of them, you can extract all their benefits in a cup. Try out different herbs and see which one works for you. While there are plenty of options for you to choose from, we’ve made a list of some of the best herbal teas that you can try out if you have sleep apnea. Let’s take a look:
- Taylors of Harrogate Organic Chamomile Herbal Tea (ASIN # B00CREXUOU): Chamomile tea is naturally calming and has many healing properties. It has been used for many years to help people with abnormal sleeping patterns, including sleep apnea. Chamomile tea is free from any hints of caffeine. It can be brewed directly in hot water and can also be served with milk. Addition of honey to chamomile tea aids in sleeping better.
- Tadin Tea, Pasiflora – Passion Flower Tea (ASIN # B004P726PG): Passionflower tea has a rich and savory taste and is another great herb for treating sleep apnea. Passionflower tea has countless health benefits to offer and is also used in treating symptoms of menopause. Research has also shown that passionflower tea improves sleep quality. A cup of passionflower tea before bed will calm your nerves and take away all the stress from your body, ensuring a peaceful sleep.
- Traditional Medicinals Organic Lemon Balm Herbal Tea (ASIN # B015OGDWAO): While lemon balm herb belongs to the mint family, it has a citrus taste. The lemon balm tea is great for boosting the immune system and getting rid of stress and anxiety. It is also said to improve sleeping patterns and ensure that your breathing stays stable when sleeping. If you love a good minty-citrus taste, this is the tea for you. Lemon balm tea is beneficial for treating indigestion as well.
- Traditional Medicinals Organic Nighty Night Valerian Relaxation Tea (ASIN # B007IW25FQ): Valerian is a great medicinal herb that has been in use for quite some time now. It has an earthy and minty taste that most people like. Valerian herbal tea is great for improving sleep and is free from caffeine. The use of valerian tea was quite popular in ancient Greece for treating anxiety and depression.
3. Oral Appliances
There are ways to keep your airway open when you sleep. The best way to do so is by using an oral appliance. Oral appliances are designed to reposition your jaw and tongue in such a way that it keeps your airway open.
Your jaw or tongue is moved in a way that removes obstruction in the back of your throat. You can purchase an oral appliance quite easily, and if your sleep apnea is severe, even your doctor might recommend one. You can see your dentist and get a custom made oral appliance that fits perfectly in your jaw. There are online stores that customize oral appliances as well.
Oral appliances are inexpensive and quite effective for treating sleep apnea. It’s better than taking medication that might cause side effects. They are considered one of the most effective forms of therapy for treating sleep apnea.
Here are some of the best oral appliances that you can purchase online:
- Bright Guard 2.0 Adjustable Night Sleep Aid Bruxism Mouthpiece Mouth Guard (ASIN # B07NHG4R7D): This oral mouthpiece is designed to prevent bruxism; however, it is also great for people who suffer from sleep apnea. The adjustable mouth guard will ensure that your airway remains open as you sleep so that your breathing isn’t affected.
- DenTek Professional-Fit, Maximum Protection (ASIN # B008YEMVSI): This oral appliance is perfect for keeping your jaw in place so that your airway is open as you sleep. It also helps in preventing jaw aches, headaches, and tooth chipping.
Dry air is not good for anyone, let alone people who suffer from sleep apnea. Dry air can affect your respiratory system, which is already vulnerable as it is. To avoid increased congestion and a blocked airway, it’s important to add moisture to the air that surrounds you.
You can add moisture by using a humidifier. Using a humidifier will allow your breathing to become clearer as your airways are opened. And like we mentioned before, you can add a few drops of essential oils to your humidifier for added benefit. Adding the essential oils will make you sleep better and will also provide a soothing effect. Plus, your room will smell fresh and fragrant all the time.
Here are some of the best humidifiers that you can find online:
- LEVOIT Humidifiers for Bedroom(ASIN # B08HS45N13): This humidifier is great for easing sleep apnea symptoms. It’s user-friendly, and you can control it through your phone by simply connecting it. You can add essential oils to the container for a better experience. The best part is that you can control the humidifier’s output by changing your desired humidity level.
- Everlasting Comfort Cool Mist Humidifier for Bedroom(ASIN # B077Z2QCS5): This humidifier has a capacity of 6 liters meaning it can run for quite some time. You can add essential oils to this humidifier as well for a better experience. The great thing about this humidifier is that you don’t have to change its filter over and over again as it is filterless. Moreover, when the water runs out of your humidifier, you don’t have to worry about shutting it off as this humidifier has sensors, and when the water levels are running low, it shuts off automatically.
Our Final Thoughts
That’s the end of the best natural supplements for sleep apnea. You can always explore more options but sticking to essential oils, herbal teas, and humidifiers is your best bet. Keep trying different herbs, see which ones suit you better, and stick to them like glue. But if your condition does not get better with these supplements, it’s important to see your doctor. Your doctor may prescribe you some medication that will help in easing the symptoms.
Also, make sure that before you consider using oral appliances, your doctor knows about it. Additionally, trying out meditation and yoga also helps in this condition. Meditation and yoga can put your body in a state of peacefulness, which helps alleviate sleep apnea. Deep breathing exercises have also proven to be beneficial in treating sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is a very serious condition that should not be taken lightly. If you feel any of the sleep apnea symptoms that we discussed, get yourself checked immediately by your doctor.