Skin redness is something that we all have dealt with at some point in our lives. However, consistent redness on cheeks or visible blood vessels on your skin are two major red flags that it’s not your regular skin redness; instead, you might be experiencing a skin condition called rosacea.
It’s a common condition that has affected over 16 million Americans. Rosacea mostly occurs in people over the age of 30. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to treat this condition, including natural supplements for rosacea.
The central part of the face, including the nose, cheeks, ears, chin, and forehead, is mainly affected by rosacea. However, in some cases, it can spread to the neck, chest, and back. It can affect people of all skin colors but is mostly found in people with lighter skin tones.
What Causes Rosacea?
The major cause of rosacea is still unknown. Many scientists are still researching and trying to find the root cause of this skin condition. However, some studies have shown that genetics, environmental, and immunological factors play a role in causing rosacea.
According to existing research, neurovascular dysregulation and microorganisms are possible causes for rosacea, although it is still not confirmed. Moreover, exposure to UV radiations can trigger and even aggravate this skin condition.
It’s a myth that poor hygiene causes rosacea. Rosacea has nothing to do with personal hygiene, it is a hereditary skin condition, but it’s not contagious. Some factors can cause the condition to flare up, including:
- Hot drinks
- Spicy food
- Cosmetics and reaction to skincare products
- Extreme temperatures
- Alcoholic drinks
- Medication that dilates blood vessels
- Extreme emotions
Women are more susceptible to getting this skin condition than men. Moreover, people who smoke or have a family history are at a high risk of getting rosacea.
What are the Symptoms of Rosacea
Different symptoms of rosacea will help you in identifying the skin condition. Here are a few:
1. Facial Redness
Facial redness and flushing are the major symptoms of rosacea. Moreover, visible broken vessels and swollen skin also indicate rosacea. In this condition, the skin starts to feel itchy, and you may even experience a stinging or burning sensation.
People with this condition tend to blush or flush more readily than other people.
2. Acne-Like Breakouts
In rosacea, the skin may get acne-like breakouts in red areas. These breakouts aren’t consistent, plus they make the skin oily. The skin becomes extremely sensitive because of which the skin may burn or sting as well. Spider veins become visible on the skin, and there are raised patches called plaques.
3. Thickening of Skin
There are different subtypes of rosacea; in one of the subtypes, the skin starts to visibly thicken around the nose. The skin’s texture becomes bumpy and may also thicken the area surrounding the forehead, chin, ears, and cheeks.
The skin becomes oily, and pores are enlarged in this subtype of rosacea.
4. Red Eyes
In some cases of rosacea, the eyes are affected as well. Your eyes may become bloodshot or watery. The eyes may even become dry and itchy. Moreover, there might be a burning or stinging sensation. In the most severe cases, eyes become sensitive to light, and your vision might get blurry.
There have been reports of cases where a cyst forms on the eyelid because of rosacea, and as a result, their eyesight is affected.
The 4 Best Natural Supplements for Rosacea
Some of the symptoms of rosacea aren’t as severe and can be managed at home by following some basic home remedies. Medication isn’t always a solution; before you start using any drugs, it’s best to try out some natural supplements.
We’ve made a list of some of the best natural supplements for rosacea. Here are our top 4 picks:
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel is quite popular for various reasons. Its gel has a soothing and moisturizing effect that can help reduce inflammation on the skin, making it perfect for use in a condition like rosacea. You can apply it directly onto the affected area by directly extracting it from the plant or purchasing the gel from your local drug store. It’s important to do a patch test before applying it onto your skin, as some people can have allergic reactions to aloe vera. You don’t want to worsen your skin condition. There are some aloe vera moisturizers that you can use to soothe your skin.
Studies have shown that drinking aloe vera water is also effective in treating rosacea. You can either purchase it from a local supermarket or make it at home. It’s pretty easy to make; just mix freshly extracted aloe vera gel cubes with water and mix them up in a blender. You can always add lemon or honey to the mix to enhance the flavor.
Here are some aloe vera products that you can purchase online:
- Nature Republic New Soothing Moisture Aloe Vera Gel (ASIN # B00DTFJA54): This aloe vera gel contains the minimum amount of artificial ingredients. It mostly consists of pure aloe vera extract, which is rich in moisture and soothes irritated skin. It’s great for dry and wrinkled skin and repairs damaged skin cells. Adding a few drops of oil to it can increase the effectiveness of the product.
- Aloe Infusion Body and Face Moisturizer (ASIN # B01N9QS1HN): This moisturizing cream is great for dry skin and severe skin conditions like rosacea and eczema. The face and body moisturizer is infused with aloe vera and shea butter. Moreover, it also contains hydrating ingredients like grape seed oil, Manuka honey, and kukui nut oil. The vitamins and antioxidants in this moisturizer relieve itchiness and redness from the skin. The product is free from any artificial coloring or fragrances, making it allergen-free.
- Alo Original Exposed Aloe Vera Drink (ASIN # B0186Y1J2E): This aloe drink is rich in aloe vera extract and contains natural honey, making it rich in antioxidants. It also contains cane sugar, citric acid, ascorbic acid, and natural flavors. It’s best to drink in conditions like rosacea.
Chamomile is another moisturizing ingredient that is commonly used in skincare products. It’s great for treating inflamed skin. Many research has shown that chamomile is effective in treating rosacea. Moisturizers infused with chamomile are great for healing cracked and red skin. Furthermore, the use of chamomile essential oil improves skin affected by rosacea. If your skin is too sensitive, instead of using chamomile essential oil, it’s better to opt for drinking chamomile tea. Regular consumption of chamomile tea alleviates the symptoms of rosacea.
- Eminence Organic Skincare Calm Skin Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin, Chamomile (ASIN # B00FXJF5L2): This calming skin moisturizer is infused with chamomile and aloe vera extract, making it perfect for dry skin and treating conditions like rosacea. It also contains rosemary, which rejuvenates and refreshes skin. Applying at night before bedtime produces better results. It soothes skin and revitalizes skin complexion; moreover, it is great for hydration.
- Plant Therapy Roman Chamomile Essential Oil 100% Pure (ASIN # B00JS9FMO8): Chamomile essential oil is extensively used for aromatherapy, but its use is not limited to that alone. This 100% pure essential oil is also great for treating different skin conditions like rosacea. Applying a few drops of chamomile oil mixed with a moisturizing cream or carrier oil to the affected area can help heal the skin. Damaged and inflamed skin is treated using chamomile oil. It’s also great for reducing sore muscles, headache, anxiety, and stress.
- Taylors of Harrogate Organic Chamomile Herbal Tea (ASIN # B00CREXUOU): Inflammation is a common symptom in rosacea. Studies have shown that drinking chamomile tea regularly helps tone down inflammation and also reduces redness. Alleviated symptoms can be managed by drinking chamomile tea. This herbal tea is free from any traces of caffeine and provides a soothing effect. It does not require the addition of milk, but you can add honey or sugar to it for added flavor.
Dryness can worsen rosacea; that’s why it’s important to keep your skin hydrated. Honey is a great moisturizing agent that you can use for treating redness, inflammation, and dry skin. Kanuka honey is especially effective for treating rosacea.
You can purchase manuka or kanuka honey, apply it directly onto the affected skin for a few minutes, and rinse it off with water. But make sure not to rub your skin when drying; always pat dry to avoid irritating your skin further.
Here are some of the best honey products that you can purchase online:
- Really Raw Honey (ASIN # B004P0IOOK): This sweet and delicious honey is extracted directly from the honeycomb and is great for direct consumption. You can even use it as a sweetener or even to make scrumptious recipes. Moreover, it can also be applied directly onto the skin to treat inflammation and redness like in eczema or rosacea. Since it does not contain any artificial ingredients, it does not cause any allergic reactions.
- Manukora MGO 50+ Multi-floral Raw Mānuka Honey (ASIN # B07K8TMSNB): This raw manuka honey offers many health benefits and healing properties. Each jar contains at least 50 mg/kg of dietary methylglyoxal. It has nourishing properties making it perfect for everyday use. You can add it to herbal teas for sweetening or even DIY face masks to revitalize skin conditions. It’s also great for repairing skin conditions like rosacea.
- Advanced Clinicals Manuka Honey Cream for Extremely Dry, Aging Skin (ASIN # B07BYD8JZT): If you’re not comfortable applying raw honey directly to your face, you can use this manuka honey cream that’s designed to target dry skin for the face and body. Dry, damaged, and inflamed skin can be repaired by using this cream. The honey extract reduces dryness and makes your skin smooth, soft, and hydrated.
All skin conditions are aggravated when the body is under a lot of stress. That’s why it’s extremely important to keep yourself calm and relaxed when you have a skin condition like rosacea. Meditation is a great way to get rid of all your stress and anxiety. Focus on deep breathing exercises, and you can even watch guided meditation videos on different websites, including YouTube.
While meditation may not be able to treat rosacea, it can prevent your condition from worsening. You can start your day by meditating or performing it at night. Studies have found that rosacea can induce low self-esteem, anxiety, and stress. Some people even suffer from long-term mental health issues, which is why meditation is so important in treating such conditions.
Our Final Thoughts
That’s the end of the 4 best natural supplements for rosacea. You can try them out regularly before you start medication. Of course, in severe cases, you might need to seek medical aid immediately.
One thing that you should be cautious of is the use of essential oils. Sometimes essential oils can aggravate skin conditions, so be sure to consult with your doctor before incorporating them into your routine.
Besides that, you should try out home remedies like applying honey and aloe vera to the affected areas of your face. Furthermore, drinking herbal teas like chamomile tea can help in lowering inflammation greatly. There are plenty of other home remedies like the use of turmeric, cleansing oils, and anti-inflammatory skincare products. But if your skin condition does not change with natural supplements, it’s important to consult with your dermatologist and take the required medication. Sometimes laser therapy is also recommended for treating rosacea.