The feeling of dizziness that occurs with or without any movement is called vertigo. It’s a condition that many people suffer from because the feeling of spinning and dizziness limits your activities, and you may feel sick.
Multiple things cause vertigo; however, the most common cause is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, or BPPV for short. It’s a condition that’s triggered by a swift change in the movement of your head. In such a condition, you experience an episode where your head feels like it is spinning or moving. This condition occurs when small particles of calcium are accumulated in the inner ear.
The second most common cause of vertigo is Meniere’s disease. It’s a disease that’s caused by the accumulation of excess fluid in the inner ear. In such a condition, vertigo can last for several hours.
Other common causes of vertigo are migraines and infections. The vestibular nerve is responsible for relaying information related to the body’s motion and position. When this nerve gets infected, it results in the body experiencing sensations of motion even when there’s no movement.
The most common symptoms of vertigo are dizziness, loss of balance, nausea, and vomiting. In such a condition, you cannot perform daily tasks effectively, which can adversely affect your health in the long run. Fortunately, there are some natural supplements for vertigo that you can take to help ease your condition. Moreover, some exercises help treat vertigo, but they may require the supervision of a doctor or an experienced individual.
What Are Some Exercises for Treating Vertigo?
Multiple exercises are especially useful in treating vertigo. But not all exercises will help your condition. Before you start any exercise, you need to know the underlying cause of your vertigo.
Once you’re aware of the cause, you can get the required treatment for it. Here are some common exercises that are used for treating vertigo:
1. Epley Maneuver
Epley maneuver is the most common exercise that’s used for treating vertigo. But it should be kept in mind that the Epley maneuver is only effective when treating vertigo caused by benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or BPPV.
Epley maneuver is most effective when a doctor or some other person performs it. It’s simply a series of movements that can relieve the symptoms of vertigo. The small calcium particles accumulated in your inner ear are repositioned by this exercise, thus alleviating symptoms of vertigo.
While your doctor will guide you regarding this exercise; however, when you’re at home and experience the side effects of BPPV, you can perform this exercise on your own. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials that you can watch to learn this exercise.
2. Semont-Toupet Maneuver
The Semont-toupet maneuver is similar to the Epley maneuver. The only difference is that you don’t need as much neck flexibility in this maneuver as you would in the Epley maneuver. This exercise is much easier to perform at home and does not require a doctor’s supervision.
It’s not as popular as the Epley maneuver, but studies have shown that it is equally as effective in treating the symptoms of vertigo.
While there are plenty of other exercises used for treating vertigo, these two are the most common. Moreover, there are some other lifestyle changes that you can incorporate that will help in easing your condition. Getting an adequate amount of sleep and drinking plenty of water helps in treating vertigo. Avoiding alcoholic drinks also helps people suffering from vertigo. Besides this, you can use natural supplements for vertigo that are effective in alleviating the symptoms.
The 3 Best Natural Supplements for Vertigo
Sometimes natural supplements are the best for treating a disease or condition. The same is the case with vertigo; it’s better to try out different natural supplements to keep you away from any side effects rather than going on medication. That’s the great thing about natural supplements; there aren’t any adverse effects, unlike medication. Of course, if you have any allergies, then that’s a different situation.
Anyways, here are some of the 3 best natural supplements for vertigo:
1. Ginger Tea
Ginger tea has many health benefits and is used to alleviate the symptoms of many medical conditions, including vertigo. While vertigo is not as medically severe as other conditions, those who suffer from it experience discomfort and may get injured because of sensations of motion and dizziness.
Studies have shown that drinking ginger tea twice a day can help in reducing the symptoms of vertigo. Moreover, it has been found that drinking ginger tea helped people with vertigo more than performing manual exercises for repositioning the crystals in the inner year.
You can take a piece of ginger, add some water to it, bring it to a boil and remove the piece of ginger. Strain the tea that’s left behind and pour it into a cup. You can add honey to it for added benefits and enhance the taste of the tea at the same time.
You can always purchase ginger tea online if you don’t want to make it from scratch. Here are some of the best ginger teas that you can find online:
- Instant Ginger Honey Crystals Family Value Pack (ASIN # B0845ZYLKL): It contains a naturally spicy taste of ginger, and the honey crystals add some sweetness to it making your tea taste delicious. It has a signature ginger aroma and is free from any artificial flavoring. It’s great for treating nausea and indigestion as it is made from raw ginger. Each pack contains 60 sachets which means it will last for quite some time.
- Honsei Instant Ginger Honey Tea (ASIN # B00R7W87VS): This is instant ginger and honey tea that’s easy to make. It’s best served in hot water, but you can always make it in cold water as well. It has that naturally, spicy ginger taste along with a touch of sweetness of honey. Each pack contains 40 sachets and is great for a quick fix of nausea and headache.
Almonds are rich in nutrients and are great for treating vertigo. Vitamin A, B, and E are abundant in almonds, protein, and fatty acids, which help stimulate brain functions. You can have almonds as they are or incorporate them into your diet.
The best way to consume almonds for treating vertigo is to soak them in water overnight. In the morning, you can grind the soaked almonds and put them in a glass of warm milk. Drinking this milk every day will help in reducing the symptoms of vertigo significantly.
Here are some of the most high-quality almonds that you can purchase online:
- Jumbo California Almonds in Shell (ASIN # B00CPR4GGU): These are premium quality almonds full of nutrition. You can have them as a simple snack or add them to your diet. These almonds are still in their shell, so they are untouched and not processed in any way. They’re great for treating conditions like vertigo. Each pack contains 5 lbs worth of almonds which means they’ll go a long way.
- Mariani Nut – Sliced Premium California Almonds: (ASIN # B005013GEG): Full of nutrition, fiber, and healthy fats, these thinly sliced almonds offer many health benefits. The best part is that because they’re already sliced, you do not have to go through the trouble of having to crush them. You can add them to your food as it is. Moreover, you can add a teaspoon of these premium almonds directly to a glass of milk every day to treat vertigo.
3. Essential Oils
Essential oils are therapeutic and have been in use for quite some time. They’re not only great for meditation and skincare but they are also used for lessening symptoms of medical conditions like vertigo. Essential oils are great for making your body relaxed and relieving symptoms like dizziness and nausea.
You can apply essential oils to your body by diluting them in carrier oils or simply putting a few drops on your bedspreads. Moreover, you can always add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil to a diffuser and switch it on whenever you feel dizzy or nauseous because of vertigo. Studies have shown that essential oils, especially ginger, peppermint, lavender, and lemon, effectively treat vertigo.
Here are some of the best essential oils that you can purchase online:
- Plant Therapy Ginger Root CO2 Essential Oil 100% Pure (ASIN # B005XQWVI0): Just like ginger tea helps treat the symptoms of vertigo; ginger essential oil works similarly. This ginger oil is 100% pure and is in undiluted form. But keep in mind that pure essential oils should never be directly applied to the skin. Direct topical application of essential oil can cause adverse effects, so make sure it’s diluted when you use it. You can use different carrier oils like almond oil to dilute the ginger oil and apply it to your neck or chest to relieve nausea and dizziness. Ginger oil is also great for treating muscle aches and joint pain.
- Ethereal Nature 100% Pure Oil, Peppermint (ASIN # B07P5SNJY5): Peppermint oil is great for aromatherapy and has a cool and crisp scent that refreshes your body. Peppermint oil is used to treat Meniere’s disease, which is a primary cause of vertigo. Using peppermint oil can relieve your body from nausea and dizziness, the two major vertigo symptoms. Peppermint oil helps in reducing sinus congestion and also eases stomach pain.
- Aura Cacia 100% Pure Lavender Essential Oil (ASIN # B07K3Q4DCP): Vertigo is often triggered by stress in some people. When stress is the underlying cause, using lavender oil is the best way to treat the symptoms of vertigo. This lavender oil is 100% pure and has a soothing lavender scent that helps in relaxing your body. For relieving stress and tension from the body, a few drops of lavender oil mixed in any carrier oil can be massaged onto your body. Lavender oil also helps in improving sleep quality, and getting an adequate amount of sleep is great for vertigo patients.
- Lemon Essential Oilby Pure Body Naturals (ASIN # B01LMIXY06): Lemon oil has a refreshing citrus scent that can cure nausea. Studies have shown that inhaling lemon oil can ease morning sickness in pregnant women. Moreover, for those suffering from vertigo, adding a few drops of lemon oil to a diffuser will aid in easing the symptoms of vertigo. Lemon oil is great for aromatherapy and is often used as an air freshener in homes. It has a soothing effect like other scented oils.
Our Final Thoughts
That’s the end of the three best natural supplements for vertigo. Now you’re aware of what vertigo is and its causes. If you ever feel any of its symptoms repeatedly, make sure you try out the remedies we discussed in this article, including the exercises for vertigo. Taking natural supplements will also help your condition, but you might need to see a doctor if your symptoms are severe.
Get yourself checked, and if nothing helps, your doctor might put you on some medication to help your condition. But even if you’re put on medication, it would be best to try home remedies like taking ginger tea and using essential oils. Moreover, get your vitamin D levels checked; if your vitamin D level is running low, that might be the cause of your vertigo. Your doctor might prescribe you some vitamin D supplements if there is a need. Otherwise, you can always improve your diet and consume foods naturally rich in vitamin D, such as red meat, fish, and egg yolk.